#YALILearns is a Network-wide initiative to promote shared learning and collaboration among YALI Network members. If you are looking for a way to give back to your community and help mentor other young Africans, consider facilitating a #YALILearns event.
Everything you need to plan a #YALILearns event is right here.
Take a #YALILearns Course
With topics ranging from business & entrepreneurship to climate change to civic leadership, there is sure to a course (or several!!) that you are interested in. Take a YALI Network online course, pass the quiz, and get your certificate. You are now ready to plan an event and teach the course to others.
Featured courses include:
Plan Your Event
- Decide which YALI Network Course you would like to facilitate and where you would like to hold your event.
- Promote you event through social media (like an event on YALI Network face2face) or send email, WhatsApp message, or SMS to firends, family, and those in your network inviting them to your #YALILearns event. Be sure to provide all the relevant details.
- Decide how you will present the YALI Network Online Course, you have three options:
- Stream the video,
- Download the video, or
- Print and distribute the written transcripts.
- To prepare for your event, review the lesson discussion guides for your chosen course and watch the "Designing and Delivering Training" lesson.
Please remember that all #YALILearns events are organized on the basis of educating your community with shared YALI Network resources. You should never charge a fee for a YALI Network event, and remind others if you see this occurring.
Not ready to plan your own event?
Visit the YALI Network face2face page to find a #YALILearns event near you and comment with your peers.
Conduct Your Event
Download the Event Planning Toolkit (PDF) for detailed steps on how to organize your events.
- Introduce the topic and present your chosen YALI Network Online Course.
- Lead a review of each lesson and solicit questions and comments from the audience.
- Be sure to create an inclusive environment that allows for positive, constructive conversation. You can do so with some of the following techniques:
- Have participants introduce themselves.
- Share your own views and experiences with the group.
- Be clear about expectations of respect and consideration from the beginning.
- Encourage participants to share and challenge their own views by asking questions.
- Use the Lesson Discussion Guide (available under the Resources tab for each YALI Network Online Course lesson) to facilitate a group conversation on the topic:
- The Learning Objectives are a good way to clarify terms.
- The Discussion Questions are a useful resource for questions to ask the group to start dialogue.
- The Developmental Actions will assist in putting the lesson material into practice.
- Invite participants to join the YALI Network if they are not already members and encourage participants to hold their own #YALILearns events.
Download handouts, discussion guides, Powerpoints and more for all the YALI Network Online Courses.
Resources for Understanding Human Rights.
Focus On series: Understanding Climate Change
- How to facilitate a #YALILearns event on Understanding Climate Change [PDF]
- Presentation on Understanding Climate Change [PPTX]
- The Basics: The Science of Climate Change Discussion Guide [PDF]
- The Impacts: How Climate Change Affects Africa Discussion Guide [PDF]
- The Solutions: Taking Action to Reduce Climate Change Discussion Guide [PDF]
Focus On series: Understanding the Rights of Women and Girls
Lesson 1: Supporting a Girl’s Right to Learn
- How to Facilitate a #YALILearns Session on Supporting a Girl’s Right to Learn [PDF]
- Presentation on Supporting a Girl’s Right to Learn [PPTX]
- Supporting a Girl’s Right to Learn Discussion Guide [PDF]
Lesson 2: Paving the Way for Women Entrepreneurs
- How to Facilitate a #YALILearns Session on Paving the Way for Women Entrepreneurs [PDF]
- Presentation on Paving the Way for Women Entrepreneurs [PPTX]
- Paving the Way for Women Entrepreneurs Discussion Guide [PDF]
Lesson 3: Ending Violence Against Women and Girls
Focus On Series: Understanding Elections and Civic Responsibility
Featured YALI Network Online Course
#YALILearns Event Materials
Ready to start planning your YALILearns event? Here are all the materials you need to help plan and conduct your #YALILearns event.