The Fellowship Application Insider is a guide for applying to the Mandela Washington Fellowship.
At the 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowship Summit, the YALI Network interviewed 22 Fellows – many of whom had applied for the Fellowship several times – to find out what their most important tips were for YALI Network members who will be applying for the Fellowship in the future.
The tips we heard the most were simple:
- Ensure that you meet all of the selection criteria listed in the application instructions
- Make sure to get your application in on time.
In addition to the above, there were three main themes about how applicants can improve their applications for the Mandela Washington Fellowship:
- Write About your Impact: Make yourself stand out as a leader
- Expand your Network: Positive relationships can help you improve
- Be Yourself: Honestly and effectively representing yourself is important
In this guide, you will find quotes from three 2018 Mandela Washington Fellows about the above themes. Additionally, each page contains two links to YALI Network tools to help you improve your application in the ways recommended by the Fellows.