Former United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan said gender equality is more than just a goal: “It is a precondition for meeting the challenge of reducing poverty, promoting sustainable development and building good governance.”
In other words, when women lead, we all succeed. That is the theme of #Africa4Her.
There are many ways you can help women become leaders in your own community. Here are several to consider:
- Invite five women to join the YALI Network.
- Join an upcoming #YALICHAT to discuss women’s empowerment issues.
- Take on some responsibilities at home so women family members have time to pursue their education or professional interests.
- Support women-owned businesses in your community.
- Host a networking event to connect women entrepreneurs in your community.
- Work to reduce barriers to women’s leadership in your community.
- Mentor a woman who is looking to take the next step in her career.
- Organize a discussion at your job on gender equality in the workplace that includes both women and men.
- Organize a workshop to train women on a specific skill.
- Tutor girls at a local school.
Ready to get started? Take the #Africa4Her pledge and then tell us how you will be bold for change!
These ideas may inspire you to come up with one of your own to help raise awareness of gender equality issues and take action. If so, share it with us! Be sure to follow the hashtag #Africa4Her to see what others are saying.